If you’re a coffee fanatic, this is the birthday cake that you want. Actually, it’s great for any occasion. It’s easy to make and combines a chocolate-coffee cake with a coffee-butter frosting.
Prep Time – 5 Minutes – Cook Time 25 Minutes – 8 Servings
- ¾ cup of all purpose flower
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- ¾ cup of cocoa
- ½ tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ tablespoon of baking soda
- ¼ tablespoon of salt
- ¼ cup of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons applesauce (alternative to vegetable oil).
- 1 cup of hot dark roasted coffee. We used Cafe Bustelo, but any dark roast coffee should work.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then slowly whisk in wet ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 9×12-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then allow to cool.
Prep Time – 5 Minutes – Ready In 10 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee.
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk
- In a small bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and confectioners sugar.
- In a second bowl, beat the butter until cream, then slowly beat in the sugar mixture, scrapping the bottom of the bowl occasionally.
- Stir in coffee and beat until smooth.
- Apply evenly over cake.
On scale of 1-10, it was only a one or two for the amount of coffee taste that came through in the final product. However, it was a ten on the delicious scale.
Do you have a favorite coffee recipe?